Coventry City are now plotting a summer move for an “exceptional” 44-cap international, but there could be competition for his signature from a Championship promotion rival.
Coventry eyeing move for striker amid title charge
Coventry could hardly have asked for a better set of results on Saturday afternoon, winning 2-0 at West Bromwich Albion, while all of their main rivals for promotion came up short in their own matches.
Second-place Middlesbrough were held to a 0-0 draw at home against Oxford United, and the other main contenders for promotion fared even worse, with Millwall, Ipswich Town and Hull City falling to defeats.
The Sky Blues are now in a very strong position to reach the Premier League, sitting three points clear of Boro and nine points ahead of third-place Millwall, and Frank Lampard was left very impressed by his side’s performance at the Hawthorns.
Lampard said: “The overall professionalism of the game pleased me, how we approached it, two fantastic goals of real quality in different ways. We were never really threatened by them.”
However, the manager may need to strengthen in the summer transfer window, if he does manage to guide his side to the top flight, and a striker has now been identified as a target.
That is according to reliable reporter Alan Nixon (via The 72), who states Coventry are plotting a summer move for FC Cincinnati star Kevin Denkey, although there could be competition for his signature, with promotion rivals Middlesbrough also keen.
Denkey would be open to a move to England in the summer, and a deal could be possible for around £13m, the same fee the MLS side paid to sign the centre-forward from Cercle Brugge back in 2024.
The Tractor Boys are eager to win the race for a new forward.
The 44-cap Togo international finished the 2023/24 campaign as the Jupiler Pro League top scorer, and he has since gone on to impress in the USA…
“Exceptional” Denkey is in red-hot form
After making the move to the MLS, the striker was lauded by his current club’s General Manager, Chris Albright, who said: “We’re thrilled to welcome Kévin to FC Cincinnati. He is a talented, young striker, with exceptional character.”
Since then, the 25-year-old has gone on to reward Albright’s faith in him by chipping in with 20 goals and three assists in 39 matches for FC Cincinnati in all competitions, and he is currently in red-hot form.
Indeed, the African striker has made a flying start to the campaign, picking up two goals and one assist in his opening two matches, most recently finding the net in a 2-0 victory against Atlanta United.
Denkey is yet to prove himself in one of Europe’s major leagues, so it would be a gamble for Coventry to sign him, but the FC Cincinnati star is certainly showing signs he is ready for a move to the Premier League.



